In June alone we've read about the loss of laptop or notebook computers from
- Buckeye Community Health Plan
- the Mental Health Hospital at Fort Logan
- the State of New Jersey
- the Department of Energy
- the IRS (fingerprint data, also, in this one)
- Ohio University
- the YMCA Japanese telecom KDDI
- and the US Department of Veterans Affairs
Wake up out there!
|I've turned on FileVault on my home directory on my PowerBook. It seems to create an encrypted virtual volume. So, this is practicing what I preach. But, I've noticed something strange (that I think is related): I can no longer create anything in the top-level of my home directory (/Users/fred).|
I do not know if this is related. I cannot backout of FileVault without deleting a bunch of files, although how much can I trust this. Look at what it says for the needed disk space. I have 60G disk. Hmmmm.